Last friday, it was my company "Active Day Carnival". Jason invited me to become as one of the photographers for the event. At first I wasn't confident enough that I would get any good shots. Sport photography is a newbie to me. What the hack, I just give myself a try. This will be a good practice for shooting my upcoming sister's wedding. With all the theories from the books and classes, you need to apply them in the blink of an eye. You don't have the time to think twice. Any delay in releasing the shutter, you will miss the priceless shots. Of course you still to apply all technical aspect of photography even all these shots happen in split seconds. All the photography theories have to become second nature. . I learned a lot on that day. Before started to do real shooting, I did some test shots based on existing lighting conditions. Based on the predetermined settings, I started to do "point and shoot". One caveat though, you still need to check the settings once in a while as lighting conditions can change dramatically.
Shots of the day
bravo! I am glad that you tried it.. it's true that it's really hard to capture the 'moments'.. & the function is only once & never repeat.. guess that's where the pressure comes from..
ReplyDeleteYo Keith, shutter priority (1/250) helps with iso 400.
ReplyDeleteDrop the telephoto & use a wide angle zoom...move in up close. Do not be afraid to be 'involved'.
The same goes for Wedding photography as you're in a much better advantage (bride is your sis) to do the shoot.
Remember, a telephoto doesn't bring the subject/event to you, its create distances so...
you're not involve in it.
I agree with your view. Sometime people will just shy away from camera when they started to notice my camera pointing at them. Question here is how to get 'involve' with strangers when they refuse to let me to take their natural state. The head shot of the lady cover up with her tower was a good example. I was pointing my lens towards from a distance and waiting for her to turn towards the lens. The moment she turned her face towards me, I quickly took the snapshot. Then she started to notice me, and she quickly turn her face away from my camera. If I would have walked closer towards her, she would have noticed my present and refused to let me taking her picture.
ReplyDeleteLet it be then... by being close, everyone will take notice of you & also knows 'who' you are & 'what' you will do.
ReplyDeleteThey will understand & 'behave' normally & carrying on with what they were doing. Others that shun away from your lens or mine, are typical 'over-reacting shyness' type that have reasons only known by themselves (in this age & time???).
I wouldn't bother with those that covered themselves its as if they are 'stars' coming out from the High Court. Besides... how much time can you afford to lose with those reluctant ones? while other better photo opportunities are slipping away quietly.
Sacrifice the forest for a tree? No way man... i'm sure you'll agree... Cheers!